The Clinical Systems Specialist applies a broad knowledge level of healthcare Information Technology (IT) principles, best practices, and an in-depth understanding of clinical workflows to complete moderate to highly complex and multi-faceted assignments. They address escalated requests, and projects requiring critical thinking skills and ingenuity. The Clinical Systems Specialist helps implement and administer highly visible ancillary applications and core systems that are both multi-faceted and robust, to meet the needs of MemorialCare end-users while seeking opportunities to optimize internal processes and standards. This position works to complete mission critical tasks, solve enterprise issues, and has oversight of highly complex systems within MemorialCare’s critical service lines. They must demonstrate strong interpersonal skills in working regularly with co-workers, other IS teams, end users, department managers, vendors, and senior and executive IT leadership.
* Leads project management operations, disaster recovery, and business continuity including the oversight and prioritization of active, and in-queue initiatives while managing individual assignments. When necessary, assists with troubleshooting, downtimes, and user related IT problems for assigned areas. Shares responsibility to ensure production clinical system applications are accessible, fully functional, and optimally configured.
* Assists with oversight of day-to-day operations including making assignments, leading escalated requests with team and providing reports to leadership.
* Manages upgrades and net-new implementation initiatives
* Leads collaboration within and across Enterprise IS teams. Initiates, facilitates, and leads regular meetings with users and decision makers to ensure operational approval for system initiatives
* Strategizes prioritization and overall operations related to assigned areas and embedded systems. Makes recommendations, and escalates requests, and projects requiring greater creativity to peers, Lead resources.
* Assists with the completion of requests for scoping, and business plans related to clinical ancillary applications and core systems of assigned service lines and departments.
* Maintains strong working relationships with end users and department leaders to assist with workflow analysis and business needs requiring IT services, LEAN initiatives, and IT process improvement activities.
* Ensures that both client and IS teams’ needs are met as projects evolve, monitors project progress, handles issues that arise, and communicates regularly on clinical project developments to relevant participants in efforts to maintain overall visibility.
* Works independently with client and IS resources to identify and define clinical project requirements, scope, and objectives
* Educates and trains junior staff related to project management processes through on-the-job instruction and formal training programs. Educates and trains junior staff related to clinical workflow processes, system analysis, and project management. Educates staff regarding required processes related to the support of applications and systems.
* Manages personal and junior team member queues, issues, or calls from customers and end-users.
* Applies clinical system knowledge to improve operational clinical workflows, streamline processes, and support strategies. Consults and advises on advanced clinical features, functions, and proper uses of ancillary applications and core systems. Applies in-depth knowledge of clinical operations, expertise from training and/or certifications, to assist with assessment, development and support of workflows for MemorialCare systems and equipment
* Assists leadership with identifying gaps in MemorialCare guidelines, policies and procedures, and with optimizing processes
* Works to provide clinical systems analysis and task ownership related to the acquisition and support of assigned clinical applications and systems.
* Confers with other Senior resources and leadership on complex matters. Acquires assistance from entry level members as needed and develops latitude for independent actions and decisions.
* Participates in any phase of projects, clinical applications, process improvement efforts, and LEAN initiatives. Participates in projects for system selections, implementations, and post go-live support.
* Provides and routinely maintains accurate documentation of current-state functionality and specifications. Develops training materials and in-service documents for staff and end-users.
* Develops testing scenarios from a detailed understanding of reliant workflows to utilize for regression testing
* Participates in operational, system, and customer acceptance planning and testing, supporting full end-to-end deployment of clinical ancillary application and system solutions
* Participates in investigations of clinical application and system logs, collecting harvested information and partnering with other senior members to generate reports
* Minimum 5 years’ experience as a clinical or applications analyst, computer technician supporting Cardiology systems in a healthcare setting required.
* Proven ability to lead all types and phases of highly complex clinical projects. Proven history of managing oversight of team-based project management operations and methodologies. Experienced in leading projects, providing expert consultative guidance and direction on change initiatives, effectively dedicating time across more than one project, and meeting established deadlines.
* Proven familiarity of regression testing as it pertains to ancillary applications and core systems interfaced with an EMR. Proven proficiency developing test scenarios and scripts for integrated ancillary applications and core systems.
* Held previously successful role for a clinical application or system initiative, which required the use of project management tools and methodologies and experience with all project phases. Solid understanding of enterprise architecture related to clinical applications and core systems including business continuity.
* Experienced establishing designing and implementing clinical application and system support models with a core understanding of IT operations. Demonstrated ability to upgrade clinical applications and core systems, optimize them for improved performance and streamline functionality based on operational workflows.Proven progressive project management experience working independently as well as in a team situation meeting aggressive deadlines.
* Experienced troubleshooting and remediating routine problems associated with clinical applications and core systems to ensure high levels of user satisfaction. Proven ability to apply an extensive amount of hands-on experience and expert level knowledge of clinical applications and core systems while leading highly complex projects at the enterprise level.
* Demonstrated comprehensive understanding of all areas of clinical application support including integration using HL7 messaging and administration of system and service life cycles.
* Demonstrated high energy levels and tolerance of tight deadlines, time pressures, and ambiguity.
* Proven ability to prepare and interpret flowcharts, schedules, and step-by-step action plans.
* Proven experience managing personal issue queue as well as that of junior resources, assigning work orders, and providing advice on issues. Experienced at managing calls from customers for assistance and skillful at closing the loop with creating and updating pertinent documentation.
* Demonstrated ability to mentor junior team members on operational and system workflows, as well as usage of systems and internal process. Experienced at training team members on troubleshooting and remediating issues associated with clinical applications.
* Demonstrated ability to manage professional relationships with executive leadership and regularly host meetings.
* Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal direction.
* Proven experience involved in team initiatives including translating end-user needs, meeting deliverables, providing status reports, and managing customer expectations.
* Demonstrated effective communicator for purposes of interpersonal relations to understand and identify project needs and overall objectives.
* Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education and relevant experience required; Advanced degree preferred.
* Clinical license required.
* Project Management Professional (PMP) or equivalent PMI recognized certification preferred.
Internal Number: MEM003499
About MemorialCare Health System
Let us introduce ourselves. We're MemorialCare, a nonprofit health system that includes four hospitals, two medical groups, imaging centers, surgical centers and much more. As one of the leading health systems in Orange County and Los Angeles County, we're confident that no matter what your needs are, we have the teams, tools and know-how to support you every step of the way.